Sunday, December 2, 2007

On being 42

I got carded yesterday, on my birthday. I don't think they really thought I wasn't legal. Maybe it was one of those if you appear under 30, we ask for ID things. But I realized I have now been legal as long as I wasn't legal. There's no significance to that.

I think I'm in the third phase of birthday. When you're young, you look forward to them. Birthdays mean presents and new privileges--driving, R rated movies, voting, drinking, renting a car. Then, birthdays mean your closer to death. Now, It's back to presents, and an excuse to self-indulge a little. 42? Eh, not much different from 41. And I have absolutely no interest in being 19 again.

I think since the book is going pretty well, and I even did some work on it over the weekend, I'm more inclined to see it as another day, but with someone else making me sausage.

Oh, and the Scotch I bought myself for a birthday present (Balvenie 10) is really, really good. I highly recommend it.

One other thing about this blog--as one of the comments (hey I have readers! woohoo!) says, and consistent with my basic attitude towards life, I'm going to keep it short.

2 comments:

Brian said...

do you view yourself as middle aged or not there yet?

I ask because middle age seems to be thought of as someone in their early 50's, but most folks dont live to be 100 so I dont think it should be considered middle aged.

Paul said...

I haven't thought about being middle aged. I don't think that term applies to me. Not now, not ever.