Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bullshit

A few months ago, I finally saw "Thank You For Smoking" which is now one of my favorite movies. After I saw it, I re-read Harry Frankfurt's short book On Bullshit. Frankfurt describes bullshit as a disregard for the truth, and has more to do with the speaker than the what the speaker is talking about. I'm not sure that's correct, as I think lots of rhetoric can be described as bullshit. In any event, it seems clear that though profane, the term can be useful in understanding what someone is doing when they engage in bullshit.

I came to the conclusion that bullshit is bad. It isn't just an annoyance, but in fact does real harm. For a few days afterward, I wanted to make it my life's purpose to call other people on their bullshit, and stop myself from making more than is necessary.

Fortunately for myself and those around me, the desire passed. Every once in awhile though, it flares up again, usually in response to what in my opinion is an especially egregious or harmful example of it. It's campaign season, though, and I fear we will soon be drowning in it.

Rather, I think what might be more productive than calling people on their bullshit is making it easier for others to identify it. I think I'm going to devote at least a portion of this blog to posting various examples I find.

3 comments:

Brian said...

I call shenanigans

Paul said...

It just doesn't work, does it?

Chris said...

BULLSHIT